These pretty earrings have a simple, modest look, but they're made up of two very potent symbols that have been interwoven; one that's universal and one that goes deep into the Gaelic and Celtic cultures and Irish mythology.
The circle is a universal symbol that has been around since the dawn of man. In all that time it has been used to represent an almost endless number of concepts, a few of which are: the sun, the earth, the moon, the planets, God, eternity, perfection, totality, the continuity of life, heaven, protection, and the universe.
Likewise, the four-cornered Celtic knot may not be universal but is just as rich culturally, representing as it does:
- Four Gaelic seasonal festivals: Samhain, Beltane, Imbolc & Lughnasadh
- Four Druidic gods who each rule a quadrant of the earth
- Brigid the Celtic Queen of the four fires, with her four hands of wisdom, earth, heart and head
- The four treasures of the Tuatha De Danann
- Good luck, as in a four-leaf clover
- The four elements: earth, wind, fire and water
- The four seasons
- North, south, east and west
And yet, despite all that, these earrings have an unassuming simplicity and lightness, and an elegance that let them stand on their own simply as pretty earrings.
- Type: Hook
- Material: Solid sterling silver
- Finish: Polished
- Width: 5/8 inch (16mm)
- Item number: wh402