The rare spotting of a hummingbird is almost like a magical experience, and maybe that's why it's been a spirit animal or totem to many cultures since ancient times.
Between the unbelievably fast flapping of their wings and the humming sound it creates, you could almost think they were more insect than bird. They can even hover while drinking nectar from a flower. And then there's the colorful iridescent feathers that give them a shiny, almost metallic look.
It's the feathers that inspired this necklace and here they've been translated into 15 clear round cubic zirconia crystals decoratively arranged within a curving grid of tiny silver studs to give the hummingbird's body an overall softly shimmering quality. A single blue crystal used for the eye adds a spot of color.
When worn, the hummingbird hangs in a hovering position, the way you usually see him when he's drinking nectar from a flower.
- Materials: Sterling silver, with cubic zirconia crystals
- Silver finish: Polished with anti-tarnish rhodium plating
- Width: about 3/4 inch from tip of wing to tip of bill (18 mm)
- Height: about 5/8 inch (excluding hanger) (16 mm)
- Chain: 18 inch (45.6cm), with spring ring closure
- Item number: wh397